According to Calgary Herald, the unemployment rate for Alberta youth, ages 15 – 24, is 13.2 per cent, nearly double the provincial jobless rate of 6.8 per cent.
There is no doubt that it is tough going right now, and finding a job can take a lot of work – and patience. Thankfully, there are resources to tap into and our BOWEN recruiters offer the following job search tips:
- Network with family and friends. They can provide introduction and let you know of opportunities. Let everyone you know that you are looking for work.
- Do your research. There are lots of web sites with job postings, but you have to look around a lot.
- Be patient and keep the perspective that this is a short-term blip in a long-term career of employment.
- Be willing to take a more junior job right now in order to get some experience and earn some money.
- Be flexible and consider taking a couple of part time jobs.
- Try volunteering to gain related experience or simply to keep yourself busy and motivated!
- Take some classes to help further develop your skill set.
Check back for our tips on how to have a memorable interview. Remember, this is part of a cycle that will eventually move to an upswing. Continue to have a positive attitude that things will get better!