May 6, 2016 – Calgary, Alberta – As the Fort McMurray wildfire continues to evolve, BOWEN remains focused on working closely with our clients to gather timely and critical information for our embedded contractors regarding their work status. This is especially important as we work to ensure there are no unnecessary disruptions in pay.
The following BOWEN payroll guidelines may apply if you:
- have been evacuated, and you haven’t already, we encourage you to submit your timesheet for the hours you’ve worked as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to copy your supervisor to request their approval. If you are unable to get supervisor approval, please submit your timesheet anyhow and we will coordinate approvals on your behalf.
- are currently working on site, please follow your standard time sheet approval procedures. Standard timelines apply.
- are based out of Calgary or Edmonton, please follow your standard time sheet approval procedures. Standard timelines apply.
- are contracted to Syncrude and need to contact us over the weekend, please send an email to email@example.com or call us at 1844 438 5606 and a member of our team will follow up with you. In addition, you can access Syncrude’s Information Hotline at 780 790 5047, which will be answered by a live operator. You can call this line with questions about urgent needs you may have, and questions about coming back to work, etc. Syncrude is also sharing wildfire information and updates via their official Twitter account, @SyncrudeCanada.
For essential personnel on assignment with BOWEN who have been asked to return to site, we encourage you to ask your immediate supervisor about transportation options to get you to and from work, as resources are being made available for those in need.
Additional resources for anyone affected by the wildfire evacuations:
- CBC News has published a list of businesses and agencies offering support and resources across Alberta on their website at cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/fort-mcmurray-evacuees-a-list-of-resources-available-across-alberta-1.3566500.
- The Government of Canada has set up a reference code to facilitate and accelerate the process of Employment Insurance (EI) claims for affected workers for coverage until you return to work. This measure has been put in place to ensure that Canadians who are eligible for EI and unable to work because of the fires can access EI benefits when they need them. Applying for EI does not have an impact on your employment status or your eligibility to return to work. Learn more at esdc.gc.ca/en/ei/important_notice.page.
- Edmonton’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) is coordinating resources in support of on-scene operations and activities. You can reach them at 780 442 5311.
- Visit edmonton.ca/programs_services/helping-wood-buffalo.aspx.
- The Alberta Government has provided a comprehensive list of Alberta resources at alberta.ca/emergency.cfm.
- ATB Financial has made a disaster-relief program available for its customers affected by the fire. ATB will offer emergency overdraft protection, increased credit limits and loan-payment deferrals if needed, depending on the customer’s circumstances. Customers can call them at 1-800-332-8383 for more information.
- Individuals who arrive in Calgary can contact Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) at calgary.ca/General/Pages/Fort-McMurray-Evacuation.aspx to get the latest on resources available for you, including accommodations.
- The Red Cross has set up a call line for inquiries and to register call 1 888 350 6070.
- Mental health support is also available by calling Alberta’s 24-hour Mental Health Help Line at 1 877 303 2642.
Additional contact information for the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo:
For more than 40 years, BOWEN has been providing corporate Canada with cost-driven sourcing and contractor management solutions. From managing highly complex recruiting projects to developing contractor engagement and performance models, we are changing the market landscape in terms of how talent is found and how workforces operate. Our business focus is on consistent execution, disciplined financial results and sustainable operational oversight. Our results are measured entirely by our capacity to meaningfully reduce time and cost while also increasing output and performance efficiency. We care about doing business right, mitigating risk, ensuring safety and driving value. We are more than a vendor – we are a strategic business partner.
Marketing Communications Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | 403 538 3349